
I think it is time to put into writing my love for this hymn. Once upon a time, about 24 years ago I was a Relief Society President serving in the Union 20th Ward. When I was first called I was pregnant with Erica. Somehow, with the Lord's help and fabulous counselors, I was able to fulfill the calling. Over a year into the calling, David was put into the bishopric. That brought my concern level to an all time high. The day he was sustained, I remember sitting in the audience by myself with five children, looking up on the stand at my husband with much pride and gratitude for his worthiness. During the meeting we sang a hymn from the then new hymnbook entitled "I Believe in Christ." As we sang the words in the fourth verse, "I believe in Christ, so come what may, with Him I will stand on that great day; When on the earth He comes again to rule among the sons of men" I knew all would be well because I did believe in Christ. The Savior was going to be there by my side helping me with His work. This is when I first fell in love with this hymn.
A few years went by and we moved into a new home. One year after moving in, David was called to be the bishop. My concern level was now on red alert. I didn't know if I had what it would take to be a mother and the wife of the bishop. I remember thinking that if I could only relive my first experience with the hymn I would know Heavenly Father had faith in me. I was teaching Primary at the time. On our way to sharing time we passed by the Relief Society room. The room was filled with angels singing "I Believe in Christ." I stood outside in the hall and wept. It was a tender mercy from a loving Heavenly Father.
There have been other critical times in my life that I have prayed to hear the words of this song and Heavenly Father has answered my prayers. Some were during turbulant teenage years. Some where during personal struggles. The last critical time was when I knew I was being let go from my Young Woman's calling. Today we sang it in Sacrament Meeting as the closing song. Even though we were already five minutes late, the chorister led us in all four verses.
My children know that this hymn is to be sung by the congregation at my funeral. I would like it to be sung with joyful enthusiasm. I think I will have a note put on the funeral program stating such.
The bottom line is this.....I believe in Christ, so come what may.
No comments:
Post a Comment