Wednesday, May 14, 2008
Festival of Trees
Back in my lifetime, almost 30 years ago, I tended children and cleaned house for Barbara Frazier, (an incredible woman!) She was involved in a little community service project known as Festival of Trees which has evolved into a huge community service project. She signed me up to be on her committee and the rest is history. This is the 38th year. I have been involved with Festival of Trees since Matt was a baby. This is my 9th year of serving on the Festival of Trees Executive Board. I have worked in the Gift Boutique, served as co-chair to Lori Peterson and Edyth Hansen, and I am currently serving as the Auction Host Chair with additional duties on the Large Tree committee. My responsibilities as Auction Host Chair include training and scheduling 500 plus Auction Hosts for Opening Night. Last year we raised $1,604,021.64 in less than five days. Every single penny of that money goes to charity care at Primary Children's Medical Center. All my daughters (which includes my daughter in-laws) are on my committee. Talya is also a member of the Executive Board. This year she is the Entertainment Chair. I celebrated my 50th birthday on Opening Night (hence the tiara) and my daughter, Erica, was engaged at Festival. I am often asked why I keep doing Festival. To me it is a no-brainer. In my small way I get to help children. The money raised gives hope to families in need. Then there is the selfish side of me that keeps doing Festival. I do it for the friendships I have made with some incredible women. I do it to serve with my children, my sisters, my husband and my dear friends in a great cause.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Yeah for Festival!!!
Post a Comment