After a few moments, our usher explained what to expect next. She said that the chapel was the room the President Monson and others would pass through before the dedication and then again afterwards. It was hard to contain any of the moisture filling my eyes. I tried to read to distract my mind. I knew if I started crying now, it would be a couple of hours before I stopped.
Shortly before 4:30 p.m., President Monson entered the chapel from the back. He was accompanied by his daughter, President and Sister Eyring, Elder Scott, Elder Anderson of the Seventy and Brother Fitzgerald, a counselor to the temple president and their wives. We all stood in reverence. President Monson stopped to greet the children near the aisles and to shake hands. Then they entered the Celestial Room. The meeting was incredible! Some of the comments that impressed me were – pay attention to the artwork throughout the temple and the spirit that it conveys. Be diligent and come to the temple more often. We don’t face the difficulties that some do to get to the temple (money, distance) so we need to go more often. If I keep my covenants, my family will be together forever. A belief in the Savior is what matters most. Those sisters that I am doing proxy work for may be involved with teaching my ancestors the gospel. Bear your testimony to the person whose work you are doing. Then President Monson offered a beautiful dedicatory prayer and we participated in the Hosanna Shout. I loved every second of it. Towards the end of the meeting, the chapel felt very full and crowded. I knew that worthy spirits were there celebrating the dedication knowing that their work would soon be done.
Soon President Monson and the others entered into the chapel again. We stood again. He greeted the children and as he came to my row I put my hand out. The Prophet of God kindly shook my hand. He then reached out to David and shook his hand and then on to a darling teenage girl sitting next to David. The handshake was firm but gentle. It was a moment I want never to forget. But it wasn’t just the handshake, it was the incredible spirit that filled the room. I also had the chance to shake Elder Scott’s hand. President Eyring was holding the hand of his wife which I didn’t want to disrupt.
I have now attended four temple dedications – Bountiful, Winter Quarters, Palmyra and Draper. I have always prayed beforehand for a special spiritual moment. This moment topped them all. I am so grateful for temple blessings and to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I am looking forward to Wednesday evening when we return to do our first endowment session in the Lord’s newest temple.
I called my two oldest grandchildren first and told them about what had happened. Eric’s comment was, “You shook his hand for real?” I asked them to share it with their families. I hope my experience will add to the beginnings of their testimonies of a living prophet.
No comments:
Post a Comment