Sunday, November 30, 2008

Candy Canes and Granddaughters

I'm glad the background of my blog looks similar to a candy cane. It is so appropriate for this story.... Friday night Matt was visiting my house with Shae (6), Audrey (4) and Eliza (18 months). Lindsay was with her family participating in a service project. After checking out all of my Christmas decorations, Shae spotted some regular size candy canes in my kitchen. She pointed them out and talked about them. I knew she was dying to have one of her own, so I asked her, "What do you think your mommy would say if I gave you a whole big candy cane?" (At this time of year I don't want to be too responsible for providing a sugar overload.) Shae hestitated and hummed and hawed, but Audrey immediately spoke up and said, "Mommy's not here." I couldn't stop laughing! She was right but Daddy was there and he heard her. We compromised and smashed the candy canes into small pieces. Sprinkled them onto vanilla ice cream with chocolate topping. It's a holiday story I won't forget!

No comments: