Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Happy 79th Birthday Dad!



On Saturday, April 12th, most of my siblings, my Dad and his wife, Alice, got together to celebrate Dad's 79th birthday. Alice treated us to a buffet dinner at Scheider's Restaurant at Zermatt Resort in Midway. The food was great and the company was fabulous. I hope my life is as full as my Dad's when I turn 79 years old.

Things I have learned from my Dad.....Perhaps the thing that I learned most from my father was a strong work ethic. Dad always plays hard, but before playing hard, he works hard. I learned that if there was something worth doing, then it certainly was worth doing well. Scrimping and cutting corners wasn’t allowed much at all. Doing one’s best was a requirement of being a member of the family. These traits are all the more evident now as he battles Parkinson's disease. He is determined to be the winner and I know he will. I am proud of the way he doesn't give in to the disease. Instead, he finds ways to fight it. In fact, he is sharing his knowledge of the battle by funding a new therapy program to help others. What an example of perseverance and endurance!

Next to working and playing hard, the best survival skill for life that I learned from my Dad was to have a sense of humor and don’t take life so seriously. His jokes, no matter how corny, always seem to produce a smile and lighten the mood.

I don’t remember a specific occasion that taught me his love for the gospel and his reliance on the Lord. It was just taught through a lifetime of example. There was never any question as how he felt about the gospel and doing what Heavenly Father required. He just did it, and, consequently, he has a family of faithful children and grandchildren.

There is no one that could match my Dad! I am truly grateful that I am part of his family. He is an awesome father! I love you Dad! And Alice, I love you too! Thanks for taking such good care of Dad.

1 comment:

Carly said...

I feel honored to be a part of such a great family!