Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Draper Utah Temple Openhouse Assignments

Our turn to help with the temple openhouse is over and done. It was a remarkable opportunity. David spent his two shifts directing traffic into one of the four stake centers used for the starting point of the tour. Gratefully the weather held. It was cold and windy part of the time but it never rained or snowed on him. My first shift was to help in the reception area with the food (cookies and water). I was on the early shift -- starting at 7:00 a.m. Tours began at 8:30 a.m. We stocked shelves and filled trays and then sat on the stage, behind the curtain, for most of the rest of three hours. There wasn't alot of cookie traffic that early in the morning. My second shift was what I affectionately call, "Tour Guide Barbie." I rode on a bus that took 55 people to the temple. During the six minute ride I read a prepared script about temple work and the new temple. It took about 25-30 minutes for a round trip from stake center to temple and back. I probably did eight trips. It was much more interactive and interesting. I did learn not to wear a broomstick skirt on windy days.
After bus and parking lot duty we spent a couple more hours inside the temple helping visitors enter and leave the sealing rooms. I loved watching their faces as they came out.


Our very very favorite assignment was being Sealing Room Hosts. David and I did this together. We had about three minutes per group to explain the purpose for sealing rooms in the temples. David spoke of the sealing power given to Peter by the Savior. I followed by sharing what being sealed to my sweetheart and my family meant to us. We then invited them to look in the mirrors for a glimpse of eternity. We figured we were able to share our feelings about eternal families to over 800 people. I love the temple! I get to be with my family forever!

1 comment:

Jan Martin said...

Who could be better then you and Dave in the sealing room. I had friends who worked in the sealing room and they loved it also. What a great experience. We loved this beautiful temple and look forward to using it.
I loved all your blogs. What a great record. I want to hold the babies!!!!!