I have a few moments of downtime so I thought it would best be used by updating my blog and explain the reason for being absent from the blog world for so long. It all started back on July 17th when I had a cortisone shot in my foot. I had been diagnosed with a neuroma (inflamed nerves in the foot) a few weeks earlier. It wasn't getting better so I had the option of the shot or possible surgery. I did not want surgery. I decided to give the shot a try since we were leaving for our annual Lake Powell trip in about ten days. Well, the shot was wonderful. It worked just like it was supposed to until July 31st. That is the day I stepped from the houseboat to the ski boat and felt a pop in my foot. As soon as I was home and able to make an appointment with Dr. Morgan I went in for another x-ray. Nothing looked wrong. We decided the shot had run its course and the neuroma was back. It was too soon for another shot so I learned how to tape it and went on my way. The problem was that it got worse and worse. On Saturday, August 23rd I hurriedly walked across the freeway (to check on the passengers in a car that had just rolled three times right in front of us) and my foot totally went out. The pain was awful. I lived with it until Monday when a new x-ray showed a very dislocated toe. At this point surgery was called for to fix the toe and remove the neuroma. It took place August 27th. They sewed the torn ligaments back into place and put a 3.5 inch pin in my toe to hold it in place. It has now been two months. The pin is gone but the toe is still sore and swollen. I just had a follow-up appointment and it will be another four months before I "go a day without thinking about the pain in my foot." I can't walk up hills, wear any type of heel or my red or black cowboy boots. I have one pair of shoes to wear that are a whole size bigger than normal to get on my swollen foot. I stood in line for an hour tonight to vote early and my foot is screaming at me. It is much better than it was, but not it is not where I want it to be. Obviously the surgery was a much bigger deal than I thought it was. My theory on what happened was the cortisone shot weakened my ligaments which eventually tore and my toe slipped out of place. I will never have another cortisone shot again. The x-rays are very revealing. Skip viewing them if you are queasy.
Recovery has slowed down my participation in optional activities (like blogging) so that I can keep up with required activities (like being a grandma and wife, YW leader and Festival Board Member).
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Yeah!!! You updated your blog!! I've been meaning to tease you about your lack of posts lately. (:
Hopefully in June at camp you'll be running....yes, I said running!
Post a Comment